“The school should always have as its aim that the young man leave it as a harmonious personality. not as a specialist. The development of general ability for independent thinking and judgement should always be placed foremost.” (Albert Einstein. Out of my later years, New York: philosophical library.1960).
What is harmonious personality? what aspects could we include to bring out a harmonious personality? Different schools of thought highlight various personality traits.
1. Qualities of responsibility
2. Problem solving ability with his own needs.
3. Maturity with moral values.
4. Self awareness to reach the zenith of self actualization.
5. Intellectually and emotionally strong
6. qualities of independent thinking and judgement.
7. Decision making capabilities and feeling of security.
8. The process of self discovery.
9. Skills of socially adaptability
10. Skills associated with art, technology, culture, nature etc.
The WHO has laid down ten core life skills:
1. Self awareness
3. Critical thinking
4. Creative thinking
5. Decision making
6. Problem solving
7. Effective communication
8. Interpersonal Relationship
9. coping with stress
10. coping with emotions
We as parents and teachers should ensure that these qualities of life skills are imbibed in our children. Emphasis should also be laid to develop qualities of:
1. Spirit of scientific inquiry
2. Technology literacy
3. Global and cultural awareness
What are your views on “Aims of Education’?