Attitude of Gratitude
Today, while driving towards my office I got stuck in a terrible traffic jam. While waiting for the never-ending pile of cars to move ahead, I was getting anxious for I knew that I will be late again and will have to give yet another explanation to my forever smirking boss.
Sitting in the car and getting irritated, I happen to look left at the footpath and there I saw a child not more than 5 years old, sitting on a stash of old newspapers, browsing through a school book. He was turning the pages with utmost care and had a look on his face which was a combination of excitement, awe and curiosity. His mother was standing nearby rummaging through a pile of old bottles and newspapers.
That scene melted my heart and suddenly my problems felt trivial to me. My heart was filled with Gratitude towards the universe,because I have a life which is filled with so much abundance.
Look around you right now, you have several people who love you unconditionally, you have several things in your possession to make your life comfortable.
Yet, instead of being thankful, we choose to complain. We consciously forget them and fill our minds with things which we don’t have and probably don’t even need!
Let’s take a step towards building a wonderful Attitude of Gratitude in ourselves. Believe me, it’s not that difficult!
It can be built by these 7 simple acts of love and kindness:
- Start each day by thanking universe for giving you a sound body and mind.
- Say “I love you“ to your child, spouse and parents every day, several times a day.
- Be courteous and say,“Thank you” to everyone who assists you including the lift man, watchman or office boy.
- Build camaraderie at your workplace, get to know your colleagues.
- Make it a habit to visit your grandparents and other relatives to share your love and get their blessings.
- Call your school and college friends on regular basis to share a laugh and revisit the memory lane.
- Volunteer your time for the betterment of society.
As I am writing this I am remembering a quote by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama
“As you practice gratefulness, there is a sense of respect towards others.”
I am sure that once we imbibe the Attitude of Gratitude, it will also introduce us to its wonderful cousins;Optimism and Happiness.